- 1 Cup FLAT beer
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Machine Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Rosemary
- 1 Lb of Med. Ground Beef
- 3/4 Cup of Panko
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon of Basil
- Olive Oil
- 1 Large Tin of Tomato Paste
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Chopped Green Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon of Rosemary
- 2 Large Tins of Diced Tomato
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- Mozarella Cheese
- BUTTER SPREAD======
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Basil
Bitten is a beautiful and smart girl (She’s going to be a medical assistant!) and in my opinion has REALLY good taste when it comes to food!
Her only real food related information was that she really loves spaghetti and meatballs. This project is near and dear to my heart as spaghetti is and always has been my absolute favorite meal since I was a child. Whenever it’s a special occasion for me and my mom asks me what i’d like the answer is invariably “Spaghetti and Meatballs”!
What unique recipe could you really create just from spaghetti and meatballs though? This was a bit of a challenge because you can’t just make a regular meal that’s existed forever and name it after someone. Luckily I already had an idea that I just had never put into action…
One day I was at Tim Hortons and my absolute favorite workers Mel and Catlin asked me what I would like. Well as I am insane and have a very active imagination I answered honestly with the best thing i could possibly imagine and want… I wanted SPAGELS! A spagel would have been spaghetti and meatballs cooked into a bagel. You HAVE to have bread with spaghetti so why not have it all at once! Of course despite constantly harassing them and emailing Tim Horton’s head office I never got it.
So here we are. I want to sincerely thank you BITTEN SUICIDE for helping me fulfill a personal dream and making the SPAGEL a reality. Of course the Spagel is a pretty shitty name so it is now known as Bitten’s Omega Spaghetti and Meatballs because it is quite literally the GOD of spaghetti’s. It has it all and is definitely the BEST recipe we’ve made to date!
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
What song should I listen to when I cook for you…
Trout Heart Replica by Amanda Palmer and Grand Theft Orchestra
BITTEN’S OMEGA SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
1) Pop all your dough ingredients into a breadmaker in the order listed and start it on the dough setting. This takes about 1.5 hours so start early! If you don’t have a bread machine mix all the ingredients together as you would a standard dough recipe.
2) In a large mixing bowl strangle and brutalize the meatball ingredients into one completely well mixed bunch. Form into golf-ball sized balls and set aside. Don’t fry those meatballs! DO NOT FRY THEM!
3) In a large saucepan cover the bottom with olive oil, and saute the tomato paste for about 5-10 minutes.
4) Add in your chopped garlic, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and your spices. Saute that another 5 minutes or so.
5) Throw in the diced tomatoes and don’t drain them. We need all that tomato guts! Toss your sugar in as well. This combats the tartness of tomatoes!
6) Drop in your uncooked meatballs and mix them into the sauce trying not to squash them (right Becca?!? haha).
7) Cover the saucepan and turn the burner to low-medium heat and let simmer for about 2 hours stirring occassionally. Like every 20 minutes or so. Have a few drinks, talk, watch old gummibears episodes!
8) When the sauce is almost done boil your spaghetti noodles to the softness you like them.
9) Mix a bit of the finished sauce with your spaghetti noodles.
10) Butter-grease the insides of about 10 deep ramekins. You need deep ones that look like this.
11) Slice your mozarella about 3 mm thick and put it in the bottom of your ramekins. On top of that place 3 meatballs, on top of that fill to the top with your noodles and sauce, on top of that a few more slices of cheese.
12) Stretch circles of your dough over the top of the ramekins making sure a bit hangs down over each edge uniformly.
13) Brush the tops of each dough with melted butter with garlic powder, rosemary, parsley, and oregano in it. If you don’t have these things just use whatever sounds good!
14) Bake about 5-10 minutes at 350 or until the top is a golden brown.
15) Take them out of the oven and while still hot tip them upside down, and pull off the ramekins severely burning your fingertips. If it hurts you know you’re doing it right. It should all slide out so you have a spaghetti baked right into it’s own delicious garlic spiced bread.
These are ABSOLUTELY delicious and our most proud moment to date. I DARE YOU to try and eat just one, or even stop eating when you’re ridiculously full!