- 1 Lb Mussels
- 1 Lb Haddock
- 1/2 Lb Shrimp
- 1/2 Lb Scallops
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1.5 Tbspn Paprika
- 1 Cup of White Wine
- 1 Quart of Chicken Stock
- 5 Roma Tomatoes
- 6 Sage Leaves
- 1 Tbspn Rosemary
- 2 Tbspn Parsley
- 1 Tbspn Basil
- Lemon juice
One of my most favorite types of food is seafood, and one of my most favorite ingredients is booze, wine in particular is great to cook with. This recipe combines both of those things to make a really great stew! Since making this recipe I’ve discovered that drinking too much wine is very dangerous for me the next morning so while I usually tell you to finish off the bottle while you’re cooking with wine I’ll leave that up to you on this one since the recipe uses so very little of it.
The Temple of Evil is located amidst a number of small fishing communities where you can get all of this stuff fresh and local. Hell if it weren’t illegal I could go get all this stuff myself… and of course the Temple of Evil would never do anything illegal! HA HA HA! If you’re not in a fishing community or you don’t like to break any laws no matter how foolish they may be you can use bay scallops in this. They’re alot smaller, and in my opinion not quite as tasty. If you can use the large sea scallops and just cut them up. Ideally you want just about everything in this recipe to be the same size so it all cooks evenly at about the same time.
I remember one time we wanted to go get some fresh scallops from Shelburne bay and of course none of us had our diving licenses so we didn’t quite have the gear to do this. We were able to get some drysuits though but the problem with those are they make you INCREDIBLY buoyant! I’m sure anyone watching would have thought for sure a murder was taking place as we had a couple guys in the water, with one guy in the boat holding them underwater with an oar so we could get to the bottom to pick up those delicious little sea scallops. A little known fact about scallops is they can seriously move underwater when they want to. The little bastards are like jets underwater and they do like to bite!
1) Cut the fish into 1-2 inch cubes as well as the scallops if you have sea scallops. Peel the Shrimp. Put them in seperate bowls and salt them. Set aside for now.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large stew pot over medium heat. Chop then add the onion and celery sauteeing for about 4 minutes.
3) Toss in the peppers and onion for a minute or two, then add the garlic.
4) Cook for 3 minutes, then turn the heat up high and add your white wine.
5) Mix well, and add the paprika and mix that fucker again. Let it boil until about half the wine has evaporated. This lets the good tasting bits out!
6) Add the chopped sage and rosemary, then the chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let this cook for 35-40 minutes.
7) Check if it needs salt and pepper if it does…. well add it.
8) Add the tomatoes, the shrimp, fish, scallops, and mussels then add half the parsley. Cook this at a simmer for 6-7 minutes.
9) Add the rest of the parsley and the basil. Stir to combine with the heat off.
10) Serve with french bread, and let people squeeze their own lemon onto the stew if they like. Some people don’t like that. Those are crazy people.