- 5-6 Cucumbers
- 12 to 15 Onions
- 1/2 Cup of Salt
- 1 Cup of Cold Water
- 4 1/2 Cups of Vinegar
- 6 Cups of Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Celery Seed
- 2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Cup of Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ginger
My friend who happens to be the God of pickling vegetables and his brother were recently talking about how there are a lot of skills and wisdom that will be lost when the “old folks” pass away. It really got me to thinking about how most people don’t know how to make REAL molasses brown bread like our grandparents and parents made. I’m not talking that shitty bread that happens to be brown, but the real thick heavy oatmeal molasses brown bread that probably bricks up your arteries tighter than Fort Knox. What about a good old fashion seafood chowder? Easiest thing in the world to make but the youngen’s mostly have no clue how its done.
My friend goes out of his way to make sure he knows the old skills so they’re not lost when these people kick off. I try to as well but pretty much only when it comes to cooking. Since its harvest season, and getting near winter I thought I’d share another of his amazing pickling recipes so the knowledge is not lost. I really hope someone writes this down because if I’d hate to have to dig up everyones ancestors in the middle of the night and perform necromancy to re-learn these if i lose them 😉
In any case give a try to making your own mustard pickles, they’ll keep at least a year, probably many years if you do it right!
You must listen to this while making the pickles or itll turn out all wrong!
THE ANCIENTS MUSTARD PICKLES
1) Get out your Michael Myers knife since its almost Halloween and roughly hack your cucumbers and onions in to small chunks while listening to the music above…
2) Mix the first four ingredients in a big pot and let stand overnight. Drain it the next day when you’re ready to work! Drain but DO NOT WASH!
3) Mix the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium heat until it thickens.
4) Pour into bottles you’ve boiled or otherwise sterilized and seal. When the lids pop (you’ll hear it) you’ll know they’ve sealed properly.
5) Store at least overnight, then take a bottle out as you need it. The others will keep un-refrigerated.
6) Celebrate you’re new life achievement “Knowledge of the Ancients”!